thursday, December 3, 2009

thursday, December 3, 2009
daddy & Tucker

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

August 17,2009 Day +4 8:00pm

So its been a crazy couple of days to say the least!!! Where do I begin.......
Tucker went to sleep Sunday night & wasnt feeling very good at all. Shawn left to go home around 10pm. Tucker was on a morphine drip for his pain & was having alot of gagging episodes from the sores in his throat. His moniters kept going off thru the night, which alert the nurse if his breathin gets to shallow. So around 2:30 his alarm went off & I got up, I realized he wasnt breathin so well & called for the nurse & grabbed the oxygen. By the time the nurse came in he was ok & she thought mayb it was a false alarm, but within minutes it happened again. This time he wasnt hardly breathin at all & she called for an emergency. By this time I was so scared. Every nurse on the floor came running & they called the attending dr on call. So for about an hour the Drs & a few nurses were trying to figure out what was going on, during this time they had the oxygen mask on him, but he kept having small episodes where is breaths would get real shallow & they would have to stimulate him to breath. So around 5:00am we were all in the room & all of the sudden Tuckers breathing stopped all together! It was the scariest moment of my life! One that I wouldnt want anyone to experience. With no good way to describe what happened next, all hell broke loose!!! All the Drs & nurses went into immediate action, I was rushed out of the room. I called Shawn to tell him he needed to come right away. People were running all over & the attending Dr from the pediatric ICU came down(found out later he ran down 4 flights of steps to get to us cuz the elevators are to slow). I had no idea what was going on or even if Tucker was breathing, but I did know that he was in good hands & God & I had a little talk. Shawn apparently drove like a crazy man because he arrived in bout an hour & a half. Just as he got there we found out that Tucker was stable & had to be intabated( put on a ventilator) & was being taken up to the PICU. I felt like my world was just out of control at this point & I think Shawn did too. Things were happening very fast at this point. They took us upstairs to the PIcu where we sat outside of his room & watched a team of Drs & nurses work on our baby boy & we could do nothing but watch!!! Once they got him stable we were able to go in & see him. He was hooked up to so many things, it just was overwhelming.
Now they had to figure out WHY this happened. So as the day went on, they drew lots & lots of blood (so he had to have a blood transfusion & get platelets), & ran lots & lots of tests. There was many speculations by the team of Drs, from lung infection to thinking he just got tired. The lung x-ray came back clear, which was a relief. By this time it was looking like some sort of infection.
Tuesday morning tests started coming back & it is an infection in his blood. They arent sure exactly what strand of infection yet but they did say of all the things it could have been this was the best!! So probably between infection & the sores in his throat called mucisitis, his little body needed a break.
Tucker is doing much better today. His color is better & he is more relaxed. They have been decreasing the vent settings all day & he is doing most of the work now w/ just a little help from the vent. As i am writing this the doctor just came in & said they are hoping to take him off the vent tonight!! We are so excited. They have to do it slowly, but hopefully within a few hours he will be breathing on his own!!! Tucker is amazing!!
Please keep the prayers coming. I know God is listening & that he has big plans for our "little man" . We cant thank everyone & anyone enough that has been praying for Tucker. it has been a very rough couple of days for us. It is just so hard to see your child hurting so much, but knowing all this is happening to save his life!!

3 comments:

  1. Hang in there! We're only given enough that we can handle; that means you and Tucker both. So glad to read he's doing better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prayers for you all. This is breaking our hearts and we know God's too, so we are all in this together. Tucker is a tough little guy and after all this will be able to withstand anything. God Bless. (Bob and Hilda in Columbia, SC)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I pray for all of you every day. God has Tucker in the palm of His hand. He is a handsome little guy!

    Keep on hanging in there.

    Love

    Rosie

    ReplyDelete